- April 28, 2018
- 9:00 am
- Cook County Forest Preserve Foot Bridge in North Bemis Woods Entrance off Wolf Road South of 31st Street
Meet at the Cook County Forest Preserve Foot Bridge in North Bemis Woods Entrance off Wolf Road South of 31st Street– Saturday, April 28, 2018 – 9:00 AM
Please come and help remove debris and trash along the banks of Salt Creek and nearby Addison Creek. This annual outdoor event is a fun activity. It helps preserve our open and scenic waterways while enhancing their use for bike trail riders, path walkers, as well as canoeists and kayakers who enjoy our scenic creek area the year around. Our thanks to the Forest Preserve District of Cook County for their continuing support.
Volunteers please report to the sign-in table at North Bemis Foot Bridge before 9:00 a.m. for waiver signing, supplies and location directions. Note: Enter the starting location from Wolf Road south of 31st Street. Younger groups interested in a shorter morning meet at 9:30 a.m. for directions, handouts, and exhibits. Remember to dress for the day’s weather and keep in mind that you may be walking through dense and/or wet undergrowth.
Upon signing in, there is a choice of three ways to participate:
• Drive your car to a parking area and walk to your nearby assigned area.
• Ride the bike path to a point and walk to the creek bank to clean up a designated area.
• Bring your canoe/watercraft for in-water cleanup. (See Watercraft Note below.)
After the cleanup activity, all volunteers are invited to return to the North Bemis Forest Preserve foot bridge. There Katie Slivovsky, wildlife biologist and nature educator at the Chicago Children’s Museum, will help identify bones and other animal signs found during the cleanup. Huff & Huff, Inc. will begin serving free brats and burgers at 11:30 a.m. at the nearby pavilion. For planning purposes, large groups are asked to call or email Ron Hursh as noted below with expected participant count.
This annual event offers a wonderful opportunity for family, church, school, those
interested in community projects, and scout groups to participate in maintaining one
of our area’s treasured resources. And besides that, it’s free and fun for all ages!
Location Note: All special kid activities and picnic lunch are near the North Bemis Foot Bridge Located Off Wolf Road,
North of Ogden Ave.
Watercraft Note: While SCWN cannot supply watercraft, you may choose to bring your canoe or kayak and join us as noted
in the schedule summary below. Otherwise, all cleanup supplies are provided. Please contact Tom Longo below.
Time schedule summary
- 7:00 am Watercraft Sign-in and Launching
- 9:00 am Volunteer Sign-in, Obtain Area Assignments
- 9:30 am Younger Groups Sign-in, Begin Cleanup Activities
- 10:30 am Meet back at Foot Bridge, Nature Study Exhibits & Programs
- (after cleanup) 11:30 am Free Cook Out Lunch Begins All Volunteers Welcome
Salt Creek Watershed Network
Contributions to SCWN in any amount are most welcome and greatly appreciated. Send to SCWN, 526 N. Edgewood Ave., LaGrange Park, IL 60526.