David Upshaw – Building Commissioner

2350 S. 25th Avenue
Broadview, IL 60155


Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday

8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Wednesday 8:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m

Fax: 708.338.0386

Email: [email protected]

The Village of Broadview Code

Contractor Registration, Permits, Inspections, License, etc.

Contractor Registration
All contractors and subcontractors are required to obtain a Certificate of Registration from the Building Department before beginning any work in the Village.

The Certificate of Registration requires
The administrative fee of $100.00 must be paid by check or cash to the Village of Broadview Building Department.

Copy of Certificate of Insurance naming the Village of Broadview additionally insured Public Liability and Property Damage Insurance in the amount of $1,000,000 AND per occurrence for Property Damage of $1,000,000.

A License & Permit Bond shall be submitted in the amount of $10,000. The bond shall have an expiration date no earlier than one year from the date of registration.

No registration shall be valid until the required fee has been paid, the License Bond submitted and approval obtained from the Building Commissioner.

Registration does NOT replace Building Permits or other Required permits/documents.

For Roofers, Plumbers, and Electricians, a copy of your current license is required.

Building Permits 
Any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install , enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by the Village of Broadview Municipal Building Code and the International Code Council, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the building official and obtain the required permit.

A Building Permit is required for any changes or improvements made to a residence, multi-family complex, business or industrial structure, or empty lot. A permit is issued after Village inspections determine if the structure is in full compliance with all Village codes.

To be sure you are in complete compliance with Village requirements, please contact the Building Department before beginning any work. The permit fee is nominal and could save you money and time, and eliminate unnecessary mistakes.

Roof Replacement/Repairs: 

The complete replacement of a roof does require a permit, while the replacement of a few shingles does not.

Permit fees are based on the contract price of work to be completed.

Construction or work for which a permit is required shall be subject to inspection by the building official. All construction or work shall remain accessible and exposed for inspection purposes until approved. It shall be the duty of the permit applicant to cause the work to remain accessible and exposed for inspection purposes. Neither the building official nor the jurisdiction shall be liable to expense entailed in the removal or replacement of any material required to allow inspection. Please allow 48 hours to schedule an inspection.

Certificates of Occupancy
Before renting out any property or the sale of any property (residential, commercial or industrial), the property owner must obtain a Certificate of Occupancy from the Building Department. This certificate is issued after Village inspectors determine that the property for sale is in full compliance with all Village codes. Please call the Building Department to request a Certificate of Occupancy.

Business License
A business license is required for new business, change of ownership, change of location, and change of business name.

*Inspections of buildings or structures being either newly built or renovated/altered must comply with the provisions of the Building Code.

*For ordinance information see The Village of Broadview Building Code and a range of national and international codes or call the Building Department at (708) 345-8174.

*For downloadable forms see Building downloadable forms  or call the Building Department