Frequently Asked Water Questions

1. What if my main shut-off valve does not work in an emergency?

Calls should be directed to the Public Works Department, so that someone can shut off your water at the buffalo box. Public Works: (708) 681-3602 Monday – Friday 7:30 A.M. – 4:30 P.M.

2. What is a water service?

A water service is a pipe that begins with a connection to the water main at the shutoff valve in the village right of way and extends into one’s house or commercial building. The pipe was designed solely for the purpose of delivering fresh potable water to your home plumbing fixtures (i.e. sinks, toilets, showers, etc.)

3. Where are my shutoff valves?

There are actually two major shutoff valves in line with your service. The first valve called a curb stop, is generally located in the parkway and is normally housed by a cylinder with a cap on it called the buffalo box or “B-Box” for short. The other major valve is located in the home next to the water meter. Other valves may be near plumbing appliances such as sinks and toilets. The homeowner maintains all valves with the exception of the curb stop.

4. What part of my service are my property and my responsibility?

The resident’s responsibility for maintenance begins after the buffalo box and extends up through the entire home. The water meter, however, is the property of the village. Any valves adjacent to the water meter are the property owner’s responsibility to maintain.

5. Why do I have those utility flags in my parkway?

All excavators are required to contact JULIE (Joint Utility Locating Information for Excavators) prior to an excavation, so underground cables and pipes aren’t damaged.

6. Why is my water bill high?

Leaking toilets cause most high water bills. Leaking faucets, malfunctioning water softeners, and water powered sump pumps are also seen as the cause of high bills. Plumbing fixtures should be checked regularly. Adding food coloring to the flush tank can check toilet flush valves, if the color is visible in the bowl without flushing, the flapper valve likely leaks.

7. Who should I contact for water billing questions?

Call the village’s Water Billing Department at (708) 681-3600.