Summer brings sunshine and hot temperatures. Extremely high temperatures can be dangerous. Make sure you take the proper steps to keep you, your family, and your pets safe. If you do not have access to properly functioning air conditioning, below is a list of available cooling centers.
Broadview Village Chambers
2350 S. 25ht Ave.
Broadview, IL 60155
Cold Weather Precautions:
- Check on loved ones and neighbors, especially those in fragile health, preferably by telephone. Pay particular attention to older neighbors who may be outdoors attempting to shovel snow or engaged in some other activity.
- Hydrate – Drinks with caffeine, sugar and alcohol take longer for your body to absorb. Water is usually the best choice.
- People should be aware of the amount and intensity of their physical activity, both indoors and out. Cold weather puts additional strain on the body, especially the heart.
- If you must go outside, wear appropriate clothing that will adequately insulate you from the cold and provide protection from the wind.
- Never leave children or pets alone in vehicles. Temperatures in vehicles can drop rapidly.
- Check heating units. Poorly operating or damaged heating units can release carbon monoxide gas.
- Test carbon monoxide detectors for proper operation and battery life. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, tasteless gas that kills more than 500 Americans every year.
- Never use generators, grills, camp stoves, or other gasoline or charcoal-burning devices inside your home, basement, and garage or near a window. Be sure to have installed a carbon monoxide detector in your home to alert you and your family to this “silent killer.”